Asheville and its surrounding areas have become one of the top tourist destinations in the South. Sandwiched between the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains, Asheville’s long and colorful history spans a wide path, from its distinctive Scots-Irish heritage, its Appalachian culture and roots, through to the Vanderbilt legacy and its Gilded Age opulence-juxtaposed with its role as a creative artist’s/musician’s colony and home for progressive ideals. Often referred to as the “Paris of the South”, downtown Asheville is also renowned for its stunning architecture, its outdoor art, monuments and its literary giants including Thomas Wolfe. A wide variety of tours are available to help the history buff get the most out of an Asheville vacation.
** While Phase 1 of North Carolina’s re-opening eases some COVID-19 restrictions to help certain facilities open while protecting public health, many of the tours listed are not yet open. Please check with each tour provider **
- Grayline Trolley Tours: Gray Line features a variety of well-narrated tours via their nostalgic trolleys highlighting major points of interest including Montford Historic District, the legendary Grove Park Inn, the downtown with its Art Deco influence, downtown, and quaint Historic Biltmore Village. And Gray Line allows unlimited hop-on/hop-off privileges. You can stay on board for the 1.5 to 1.75 hour tour, or hop-off at any of the trolley stops along the route where you can explore, shop or dine, then simply re-board the next trolley to finish the tour.
- Asheville By Foot Walking Tours: Asheville by Foot’s remarkable walking tours and narration from extremely knowledgeable guides will help you develop an appreciation for Asheville’s history, architecture and culture-simply by exploring hidden, unique and special places that you can only access via your feet.
- Asheville Urban Trail: History buffs will love the Urban Trail, a 1.7 mile “museum without walls” walking tour of downtown with the history of Asheville told in 30 stations each with bronze sculptures and other artwork depicting Asheville’s past. The best part? It’s FREE!
- AVL Lit Tour: Asheville’s Guided Literary Walking Tour takes you to the places where many authors found their “muse” or inspiration, bookstores that sold their creations, or places with great influence on a particular author’s life.
- Biltmore Estate: A marvel of elegance and charm, The Biltmore is the largest private residence in America. Immerse yourself in the splendor of 16th century tapestries, 65 fireplaces and a library with over 10,000 volumes-all cherished possessions of George and Edith Vanderbilt. Limited Biltmore tours begin May 23, 2020 for Biltmore Annual Passholders who reside in Western North Carolina on an advanced reservation-only basis, please check for pricing and availability. Biltmore will announce at a later date when the tours have been expanded. In addition, Biltmore has extended the popular Downton Abbey exhibition through September 7, 2020 tour information is forthcoming.
- The Flying Bike Tours: An alternative to a walking tour, The Flying Bike offers an electric bike tour around Asheville. Get up close and personal with Asheville’s architecture, learn the highlights about historical icons and places, all while safely and easily “flying” up and down Asheville’s hills via an electric-powered bike.
- Walk With Me Tours: Walk With Me offers custom guided hikes, historic walks, city tours, and auto tours through Asheville, local national forests, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Local guides take you through the city and help you discover Asheville’s magical history while enjoying great eating and shopping experiences.
We are safe and well at Wildberry Lodge and hope you and your family are also. Beginning May 22, we can accept guest reservations with limitations. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us at (828) 683-2525. Wildberry offers you extreme relaxation after your day of touring. Spacious, well-appointed guest rooms with plush, comfy chairs and beds and luxurious private baths await. Sink into one of the cozy couches surrounding the massive three story stacked stone fireplace with a glass of wine, end your evening with a dip in the hot tub, and start your day with our amazing four-course breakfast. Reserve your room today!